Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.
CO is produced by the incomplete burning of natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.
CO poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die. Even small amounts of the gas can cause CO poisoning, and long term effects can include paralysis and brain damage.
Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
Being aware of the symptoms could save your life
CO symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.
Other signs that could point to CO poisoning:
– Your symptoms only occur when you are at home and seem to disappear when you leave home.
– Others in your household (including pets) are experiencing similar symptoms and they appear at a similar time.
What to do if you suspect CO poisoning
– Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.
– See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect CO poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.
– If you think there is an immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
– Ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem.
Ableforce Services is Gas Safe registered and fully qualified to advise on the safe installation of gas appliances.
The warning signs of a CO leak
Any of the following could be a sign of CO in your home:
– Flames of a lazy yellow or orange colour on your gas hob, rather than being a crisp blue;
– Dark staining on/around appliances;
– Pilot lights that frequently blow out;
– Increased condensation inside windows.
Faulty appliances in your home can lead to CO poisoning. Get your gas appliances checked regularly to avoid this.
The benefits of having a CO alarm
An audible CO alarm will alert you to the presence of the poisonous gas in your home. Although no substitute for having your appliances serviced and checked regularly, fitting a CO alarm in your property is strongly recommended as a second line of defence against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Modern CO alarms are similar in design to smoke alarms (which do not detect CO) and can be purchased from around £15 at many major retail outlets including DIY stores and supermarkets. Before purchasing an alarm, make sure it is marked to EN 50291 and has the British Standards Kitemark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it. We do not recommend the use of ‘black spot detector’ warning strips – they are too easy to miss and won’t alert you if you have a CO leak when you’re asleep.
It’s advisable to fit an alarm in every room with a gas appliance – when installing and siting the alarm make sure you refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, audible CO alarms have a battery life of up to 5 years. If you’re unsure which alarm to get, you can ask a Gas Safe registered engineer for advice.